5 Reasons why this Sliding Gate Opener is so SMART
One of the first electric gate motors was invented in 1881 – needless to say, automatic gate openers have come a long way.
In today’s world, nothing is untouched by technology; modern automated gate systems allow all types of gates to be opened or closed by a remote, intercom, or security code. They are increasingly becoming more reliable, secure, and easy to use.
The new D5 SMART is a sliding gate motor that has taken gate automation to the next level incorporating the latest advances in technology.
What makes the D5 SMART sliding gate operator smart:
1. SPEED | Incredible speed means more security
With an incredible top speed of 36 metres per minute, the D5 SMART is the fastest in its class and delivers the perfect balance between security and safety. Moving gates at nearly twice the speed of its predecessor, the D5 SMART safeguards against tailgating, considerably reduces the time spent waiting in the driveway and ensures safe and secure access in and out of your property.
2. WIRELESS USER INTERFACE | My Centsys Pro App
The D5 SMART sliding gate motor, engineered to take all the effort out of operating your gate, brings pushbutton convenience through industry-leading intelligence. Wireless and effortless, it is easy to set up, configure, and manage your automatic sliding gate using your smartphone. Advanced diagnostic feedback and reporting make identifying and troubleshooting easier.
3. BATTERY BACK-UP | Longer battery standby
The D5 SMART’s reliable 24-volt battery back-up system delivers more operations and provides continued operation for up to 35 cycles during power outages.
Featuring an intelligent battery charger with onboard diagnostics and SMΔRT communication between the charger and the controller provides security and convenience like never before.
4. SAFETY | Designed to incorporate advanced safety features
The D5 SMΔRT’s mechanical design boasts advanced safety features and cutting-edge obstruction detection technology, ensuring that your gate isn’t only secure but completely safe.
The improved position control system, incorporating hall effect technology, is highly resistant to interference. Gate opening and closing speeds can be independently adjusted, helping to reduce accidents and damage to the gate. If needed, the D5 features a convenient and intuitive single-action manual release.
5. SECURITY | Innovative theft protection
The D5’s theft-resistant cage bracket that threads through the gearbox offers outstanding security and peace of mind. The sliding gate operator has a built-in vibration sensor that can be linked to an alarm to notify you if the gate motor is being tampered with, potentially helping to prevent theft of the gate motor as well as break-ins.
Designed for speed and performance, crafted for excellence, ruggedly robust, and endlessly innovative, the D5 SMART automatic sliding gate motor is smart, sophisticated, and cutting edge.
When busy mine operations intersect the local community
Since commencing operations in 2018 this central Queensland coal mine has been gearing up production and mining operations, now moving coal 24 hours a day with as many as three trucks per hour doing a round trip between the mine and the train loadout facility.
Impact of mine traffic on the township
The 75km round trip involves the haul trucks collecting coal at the mine site, travelling along the dirt access road, joining the main highway, passing through the local township, driving on to the rail loading facility then returning empty via the same route to the mine for the next load.
During peak times heavy-duty trucks leave and enter the public highway as often as every 15-20 minutes making the management of site access a high safety and security priority.
Secure Coast Solutions customised access control system has it covered
Secure Coast Solutions designed an access control system with two key objectives in mind:
- to maximise the safety of the general public, and
- to maintain the efficiency of mining operations.
Considerations for protecting the public
- The bi-directional dirt road that enters the mine site is restricted for use by haul trucks and mine employees. Preventing unauthorised people driving down the mine access road is a priority.
- The mine operators had obtained special permits allowing passage via the highway and through school zones. As the trucks run 24 hours a day, to minimise the impact on the local community, restrictions on the frequency of operations are in place depending on the time of day.
Considerations for maximising haul road traffic efficiency
- If the trucks had to stop each time they enter and exit the mine sites this would have a significant impact on haulage efficiency – increasing travel time, fuel usage as well as wear and tear on the vehicles.
- For the haul trucks to be able to access mine areas without stopping they had to be able to open the boom gates automatically before approaching the control point and automatically close behind them.
- Being dirt roads meant safety loop detectors weren’t suitable and if the road became muddy in the rain PE beams couldn’t be used either.
- In addition to the haul trucks, access was required for maintenance and other mine personnel.
- The location of the boom gates at the entrance to the loadout facility meant power was unavailable.
- For safety and vehicle management mine operators wanted to be able to monitor the location of all trucks along the haulage route.
Efficient Practical Solution in Action
- Boom Gates were installed to prevent unauthorised vehicles from entering mine access roads.
- To allow the haul trucks to pass unhindered through the boom gates they were fitted with long-range RFID tags. When a truck is within 10-15 meters of the boom gate, long-range readers mounted on card reader stands, detect the tags on the bull bar of the haul truck and opens the boom gate.
- Radar safety devices hold the boom gate open as the trucks pass when the radar is clear the boom gate automatically lowers a few seconds later.
- Rotech’s dual height card reader stands allow entry and exit for light and large vehicles not fitted with tags.
- If a truck doesn’t reach its destination within an hour after leaving the mine site the boom gate control system sends an alarm to the control centre. The mine control centre monitors the location of each truck and other traffic. Communications are achieved using 4G routers providing internet access over the mobile phone network.
- Accommodating for varying traffic flows depending on the time of day and for weekends, the Bionik AG automatic boom gate’s multi-function digital controller made set up and programming of the access control system easy.
- Six 120W solar panels were installed to provide power for the entire system. Adding 720amp/hours of battery storage means the solar panels can provide enough power for 4-5 days allowing for overcast weather.
- LED strip lighting on the boom gate arms and illuminated card reader posts provide increased visibility and safety during night works.
Why the Bionik AG Boom Gate was the best choice for the job
“This is a busy, intensive use situation requiring high levels of safety and reliable operation. The Bionik AG boom gates are low in maintenance, fast to activate and are robust and reliable.
LED lights illuminate the boom arms and the electronics are inside a well sealed enclosure protecting the components from coal dust.
All equipment chosen is 100% duty cycle and high temperature rated so it can be used as often as needed. The Bionik AG Automatic Boom Gate featured everything needed to do the job.”
Stuart Bryant – Secure Coast Solutions
For more information about this or other safety and security combinations for your site call Alan Roberts on 07 3250 1123 or email email@example.com
Bionik AG Boom Gates in Action at Daintree River Crossing
David Attenborough called the Daintree the most extraordinary place on earth.
The Daintree River ferry crossing is the gateway to this ancient rainforest, featuring incredible wildlife and pristine landscapes that encompass two World Heritage Sites.
Tourists, Crocs and Automobiles……….
The ferry provides the only sealed road access to this area for both locals and visitors. Due to increasing visitor numbers, this point of access to the area has become a bottleneck in the peak tourist season. During this time there is often a long queue of cars waiting to cross the river.
A Unique Location Presents Unique Challenges
After the major flooding earlier this year Douglas Shire Council crews have been working to improve the facilities and amenities heading into tourism season. Much of the focus has been to reduce congestion at the ferry crossing.
3 important objectives for the Council were to:
- improve the efficiency of the ferry services, reducing queuing and wait times
- improve the tourist experience while keeping people safe from crocodiles and traffic incidents during loading and unloading vehicles
- minimise disaster recovery time after annual floods.
Rotech’s Boom Gate Solution
The Douglas Shire Council have recently installed Rotech’s Bionik AG Automatic Boom Gates.
Designed for high-volume traffic control situations, these boom gates are ideal for locations without mains power and offers many advanced features providing smooth operation, instant reversing, superior safety sensing, tough 100% duty cycle and low power consumption.
1. Facilitate more efficient traffic flow
Faster loading and unloading of vehicles and pedestrians is now safely managed by the ferry master without leaving his cabin.
- Access to the ferry is controlled using four Bionik AG Automatic Boom Gates. Two gates are each positioned either side of the river.
- The dual boom gates spanning the wide ferry boarding entrance remain in the closed position preventing vehicles and people entering the landing area.
- After lowering the vehicle ramp the ferry master then opens the boom gates via a long-range radio transmitter. This provides faster and greater control over the movement of vehicles on and off the ferry.
- Battery back-up allows the boom gate to continue to function for up to 300 operations ensuring vehicles can exit in the event of power failure.
- Mechanically tough and durable construction prevents damage from vandalism. Machined steel gears, high-quality bearings, strong gearbox add a higher level of security and safety – the self-locking mechanism means the pole cannot be forced open.
2. Creating a safer environment for pedestrians
With safety high on the Council’s agenda the Bionik AG Automatic Boom has all bases covered:
- Highly visible Red LED flashing warning lights on top of the cabinet and along the length of the boom pole indicate the gates are about to close. 30 seconds after the warning lights are activated the boom gates come down.
- The LED lights also make the boom gate highly visible at night clearly indicating where to stop, even on the darkest nights.
- Gates are fitted with a fence below each boom pole as a safety precaution to restrict pedestrians from ducking underneath and walking down to the river’s edge or entering the landing and vehicle loading area.
- A safety loop detector prevents the vehicle access gates from closing if there is any obstruction across the roadway.
- Superior in-built safety sensing features and motor design enables instant reversing of the boom pole if any safety devices are activated or if the pole is obstructed.
3. Providing flexibility in dealing with environmental conditions
The whole boom gate system is relocatable during flood season.
- All the automatic boom gate equipment is mounted on specially designed portable frames, bolted together on-site, allowing the gates to be relocated when the river is in flood.
- Relocatable solar panels power the boom gates. Able to provide 200 plus operations per day and 5 days standby with no sun, the solar panels bolted to a removable 4-metre post.
- The boom gate’s waterproof rugged construction features a 3mm thick cabinet reinforced with 6mm steel bracing making it ideal for this harsh environment.
Rotech are leaders in automated access control. Our boom gates are tough, reliable, cost-effective and easily configured for different locations. For more information about this or other safety and security combinations for your site call Alan Roberts at ROTECH on 07 3250 1123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mansfield State High School – Not Your Average Construction Site
With 2800 students currently enrolled and expectations for this to soar to 3,000 in 2020, Mansfield State High School has embarked on a significant expansion of its facilities to accommodate current and anticipated future growth.
Student safety during construction
Health & Safety is always a top priority during any construction project but never is this more important than during a build in an active school environment.
The new multipurpose hall being built on the school grounds presented a significant safety challenge for the developers:
- 2,800 students needing access to the sports field
- many loads of materials and heavy machinery requiring access around the edge of the sports field to get to the construction site.
As a new build, the groundwork was a key aspect of the project and requires a lot of heavy machinery. Additionally, construction deliveries, are a frequent and unavoidable part of any construction project. Eliminating risk isn’t easy.
Rotech was tasked by specialist access control company Que Access to provide a temporary safe crossing for students and teachers while facilitating Contractor access/exit requirements from the street to the construction site.
Boom gates pair up to manage traffic flow
An intelligent automatic boom gate system was installed by Que Access to manage vehicle and pedestrian access where they intersect.
Pedestrian access was controlled by two Bionik AG Automatic Boom Gates fitted with a fence on each pole to prevent students from ducking underneath. Under normal circumstances, the pedestrian access boom poles remain open allowing students/teachers to move freely in and out of the sports field.
Vehicle access is also controlled by two Bionik AG Automatic Boom Gates which remain in the closed position until activation. Construction traffic travels along a temporary fenced roadway, on reaching the pedestrian access gates the driver pushes a button to gain entry through the intersection.
Automated Access Procedure
When construction vehicles reach the pedestrian access gates the driver pushes a button which initiates the following automated procedure:
- Red LED lights flash on the pedestrian boom pole and a siren sounds a warning to pedestrians that the gates are about to close
- 15 seconds later, if all students/teachers have cleared the intersection, the pedestrian access boom gates close
- Safety PE beams prevent the vehicle access gates from opening and closing if there is any obstruction such as a person in the intersection.
- Once pedestrian gates are fully closed the vehicle access boom gates automatically open allowing traffic to move through the intersection.
- When pedestrians are clear of the pathway an electrical interlock sends a signal to the controller to close the vehicle access gate.
- Once the intersection is empty and the vehicle access gate is fully closed the pedestrian access gate re-opens.
- The LED lights turn green indicating the intersection is safe for students/teachers to pass through.
The automatic boom gates were mounted on 20 mm thick steel base to keep them stable while allowing for relocation when required.
If you have a difficult access control situation where safety is a priority, we have the products and expertise to develop tailored solution, whether permanent or temporary. Call Alan Roberts on 07 3250 1123 or email email@example.com
Control Vehicle Access to your Waste Facility
Rotech are leaders in automated access control
Our boom gates are tough, reliable, cost-effective and easily configured for different locations
Customisable for all types of weighbridges
Can be controlled using push buttons, transmitters, tokens and access tags
Relocatable for temporary entry areas around the facility if required
Optional solar power available for areas without access to mains power
Automatic emergency opening of the boom gate triggered by fire alarm
Reliable, efficient and cost-effective
High operational efficiency: 100% duty cycle, the revolutionary brushless motor is more efficient – allows up to 4000-5000 operations per day with economically ultra-low power consumption.
Lower maintenance costs: the brushless motor saves time and money in maintenance. The mechanical quality of the Bionik boom gates is exceptional.
Quality is unsurpassed: European manufactured using only the highest quality materials and components available has produced a product that is strong, robust and designed to last.
Site safety a priority
Rotech Bionik automatic boom gates include many safety features as standard:
Manual opening: easily opened using the release key which disengages the drive system without having to open the cabinet. No danger to personnel from contact with electrical equipment or drive mechanism.
Increased control of safety sensing: means all aspects of safety can be accurately managed. The motor design enables instant reversing of the boom pole if any safety devices are activated or if the pole is obstructed.
Battery back-up: the boom gate will continue to function for up to 300 operations in the event of power failure allowing vehicles to still exit.
Essential safety features: strategically placed warning lights on the top of the cabinet are standard. Boom pole lights, loop detectors and safety beams options are also available ensuring vehicles and pedestrians alike are protected.
Prevent tailgaters creeping through behind other vehicles: intelligent control panel software prevents a second vehicle tailgating by instantly lowering the pole to half-way. The gate will not open until the second vehicle has been allowed access or presented an access card.
Mechanically tough and durable construction prevents damage from vandalism: featuring machined steel gears, high quality bearings, strong gearbox and a self-locking mechanism means the pole cannot be forced open.
For a Wide Entrance
- Rugged construction
- 3 mm thick cabinet reinforced with 6 mm steel bracing
- Heavy duty springs
- Strengthened pole support operates in 90 Km/h winds
- Up to 5,000 operations per day
- Brushless DC motor with multifunction digital controller for precise control
Short on Space
- Cost effective solution for sites with tight spaces
- Compact design
- Tough 100% duty cycle
- Up to 5000 operations per day
- Fast opening speed
- Instant reversing
- Superior safety sensing.
Want to know more about how Rotech products can help you manage vehicle access to your waste facility?
Call Alan Roberts on (07) 3205 1123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are Boom Gates doing in the Desert?
Despite the odd appearance of a boom gate seemingly in the middle of nowhere, this barrier plays a vital role in protecting the lives of workers accessing a remote mine site in central Queensland.
Queensland’s Bowen Basin has the largest coal reserves in Australia. The 37 open cut mines account for more than 85% of saleable coal production and employ over 28,000 workers.
Requiring a large workforce and oversized heavy machinery, excavating in harsh remote locations makes mining a high-risk activity and presents a wide range of potential dangers.
However, the most common form of fatal hazard is vehicle interactions. In the period 2001 to 2017 mobile equipment and light vehicle accidents accounted for almost half (46%) of fatalities in coal mines – 21% of incidents occurred at an intersection and a further 22% occurred on a haul road.
Trucks the size of a small apartment vs light vehicles
The operators of a major open cut mine in the Bowen Basin, employing over 900 workers and contractors, had a situation where a newly constructed light vehicle access road needed to cross a busy haul road.
Coal Mining Safety and Health Regulations require “a coal mine’s safety and health management system to provide for safe access to, and egress from, fixed and mobile plant used at the mine, including each part of the plant that is routinely accessed.”
This mine runs 40 x 250 tonne dump trucks 7 days a week along wide haulage roads, constantly moving mine waste and coal to and from the coal handling and train loadout facilities.
The location of the new entrance road meant that light vehicles must cross the area where the haul roads are in order to get into the mine site. A dangerous situation, even for trained safety conscious mine workers, the mine operators wanted a barrier which would prevent public and unauthorised people getting into this area but allow approved personnel access.
- The location of the boom gate, 5 kilometres away from the plant, meant there was no mains power or access control communication available.
- The movement of vehicles entering and exiting the mine site had to be strictly controlled allowing only authorised people to enter.
- The boom gates had to be relocatable so they could be moved as the mine’s road infrastructure changes.
Safety high on the agenda
Secure Coast Solutions installed Rotech’s Sector 12vdc Automatic Boom Gate with Solar Power. This boom gate is designed for high-volume traffic control environments, particularly in situations where it is difficult to get mains power.
- The boom gate’s ability to operate on 12 volt DC meant it could be powered using the same solar panels and batteries as the Wi-Fi access control system.
- The batteries also power the lights which illuminate the gate and card readers at night making the entrance clearly visible in the dark.
- The Sector provides additional safety and security with large battery back-up installed allowing the boom gate to operate for up to 5-7 days in periods
where there is no sun.
- Rotech’s dual height card reader stands house the access control system which wirelessly links to the mine’s administration permitting site entry to
- All equipment was mounted on a purpose-built steel base enabling the boom gate, stands and solar system to be easily relocated.
Why Rotech Products
Stuart from Secure Coast Solutions said he chose Rotech’s Sector Boom Gate because “the Sector was the right fit for the project as the WiFi and access control system also ran on 12vdc it meant that everything was compatible and made it more economical when running on solar power.“
Stuart also said the thing he liked about the Sector was “even with a 6 metre pole the Sector boom gate still has a fast opening speed and the customer loves it.”
Since the installation, the system is working well – helping the mining company keep its employees and visitors from harm and preventing accidental or unauthorised entry into a very hazardous area.
If you would like further information about this or other safety and security combinations for your premises call Alan Roberts on 07 3250 1123 or email email@example.com
When School Safety Goes ‘Boom’
BOOM gates can be an effective solution to control who enters a school.
Rotech director, Alan Roberts, says boom gates are increasingly sought to prevent parents driving into restricted school areas. Commenting in a recent article “Parents behaving badly at school” published in “School News” magazine Alan said:
“The real problem is parents driving where they are not meant to, with boom gates you can keep parents out so they are not driving their children into the staff carpark and creating safety problems.
We recently supplied a boom gate for Mooloolaba State School on the Sunshine Coast because parents were ignoring the designated drop off area and driving through the main gates to the teachers’ car park. The teachers’ car park was a restricted zone and despite being designated ‘out of bounds’ for students and unauthorised vehicles there was nothing to prevent access to this area.
What was needed was the ability to strictly control the access into the teacher’s car parking area during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-ups. The school’s new boom gate remains closed during the school drop off period between 8.30am and 9.30am and opens afterward to enable contractors and other visitors through.
The boom gates give control to schools over who can enter and leave the property. I think schools will definitely be installing more boom gates in the future”.
Rotech offers a choice of automatic that enable fast and secure vehicle access. Solar-powered boom gates are another option for sites that do have easy access to electricity.
The gates can be opened by a number of methods such as remote radio transmitter, a pin code pad or intercom to ensure only authorised vehicles can enter. It takes about three seconds for the lightweight aluminium pole to raise, ensuring prompt access. The gates can also be timed to remain closed during certain hours of the day.
We have been providing fast, safe and secure vehicle and pedestrian access controls to industry since 1999 and is now servicing schools.
Want advice about how boom gates and access control systems can use for your school please call us on (07) 3225 1123 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Solar-Powered Gates Come up Trumps
While the new US President has opened his tenure with a bang, the last thing you want is this happening to your entrance gates. A smooth transition would be nice, wouldn’t it?
And if you’ve never considered a solar gate opener to make that smooth transition possible, you should. There’s a range of benefits associated with solar-powered gates that go beyond the obvious electricity savings – although that’s certainly one of them.
Let’s take a look.
Gone are the days where green-themed products had diminished capabilities compared with their hard-wired counterparts. Modern boom gates, swing gates and sliding solar gate openers are heavy duty and able to cope with a variety of commercial and industrial applications, as well as residential requirements. They also come with the full range of features, including:
- Battery backup
- Programmable operating modes
- Timers to give access during working hours, but not on weekends, for example
- Transmitter remote controls
- Adjustable opening and closing speeds – faster open, slower close, for example
- Safety sensors
- Rugged, weather-resistant sealed control panels.
Free power, renewable from the sun
Using free renewable energy from the sun to power gates can save a lot on electricity bills – particularly in high traffic areas where gates are operating all the time, or when gates are large or heavy.
There’s no better feeling than using Australia’s burning sun to reduce the heat on your bank account!
An eco-friendly option
We all understand the importance of reducing our carbon footprint for future sustainability. Using a solar-powered gate opener is a great investment when you consider the potential financial savings on electricity.
But many businesses and individuals are also switching to solar for ethical reasons – the sun is a renewable resource compared to coal-generated power.
Perfect for remote locations
In rural and remote locations, mains power isn’t always available. Solar-powered openers come into their own here. With a variety of styles and functions, solar gate openers for swing and sliding gates, boom gates, and even turnstiles are brilliant off-grid, eco-friendly, reliable solutions.
The electricity savings alone mean solar power is worth considering. But as you can see, there’s many other benefits too. If you’d like to discuss installing solar gate openers in domestic, commercial or industrial settings, give us a call to find out more about the options.
How automated gate openers boost security and profit
It doesn’t matter whether you operate an industrial, commercial or retail business – you are not immune to theft.
It is increasingly important to understand how to better protect your property, minimise your business’s vulnerability to opportunistic thieves and increase your profitability.
Factors such as:
- reduced investment in loss prevention methods by businesses
- a perception pilfering is a low risk/non-offensive crime
- the ease of sale of stolen goods online
means businesses face ever increasing challenges and losses due to theft.
Losses due to theft are an avoidable chunk of revenue that could be lifting your bottom-line
Research undertaken by the Australian Institute of Criminology highlighted access control as an important tool businesses should include in their crime prevention strategy…
“Access control aims to increase the effort associated with committing an offence, usually though the
alteration of the physical environment or surroundings to make crimes more difficult.”
Using automated internal and external gates and barriers to control access is a proven and highly effective method of preventing unauthorised access and managing security.
Using automated gates to improve security and profitability
There is increasing local and international concern about crimes against small business. Australia has over 1.9 million small businesses and proportionally there are more crimes committed against businesses than households – the most common being burglary followed by theft.
Australian Federal Police statistics show workplace theft costs Australian businesses about $1.5 billion a year and the problem is growing.
If your industrial yard, warehouse or commercial business is prone to theft using an automated gate can be an effective and efficient solution.
Teamed with remote control, key card or keypad options – using an automatic gate opener to control heavy-duty swing gates and sliding gates can significantly prevent access for unauthorised vehicles and would-be burglars.
Depending on the nature of your business, automatic boom gates may provide a better alternative to swing or sliding gates as they allow for fast vehicle access while allowing security guards to manage stock control at exit points.
Alternatively, full height turnstiles are becoming a popular option for businesses that require a high level of pedestrian security for visitors and recording time and attendance of employees. Combined with an anti-climb mesh and a card reader, a full height turnstile is highly effective method of restricting access.
Human error can foster opportunistic crime – how many times have you or a staff member forgotten to close the gate after entering or exiting? By installing an automated gate opener you won’t need to worry about entry points accidentally being left wide open for thieves. An adjustable automatic close timer minimises the time available to pass through the gate making it difficult for unauthorised access.
No power – no problem
In the event of a power failure, automatic gate openers can be operated via a battery pack, which can increase the security in times of vulnerability, providing peace of mind that property is protected whatever the circumstances.
If you are thinking about upgrading your business security, Rotech can help, providing a full range of automated gate openers, boom gates, turnstiles and supermarket gates. Talk to the experts about solutions for protecting your bottom line.
Boom Gates Protecting our most vulnerable pedestrians
Road accidents are one of the highest causes of child deaths and injuries in Australia. The most prevalent area for vehicle accidents, after the home, is at school. The sad part of this is most of these accidents are preventable.
- 204 pedestrians under the age of 14 were killed in locations outside the home
- 4,440 were seriously injured vehicle accidents, including instances of low-speed run-over
- 14% of deaths occurred in car parks and roads in places such as schools, universities, hospitals, factory premises and so on – where we would expect vehicles to be travelling at low speeds and performing low-speed manoeuvres.
Department of Infrastructure and Transport report on Child Pedestrian Safety: ’driveway deaths’ and ‘low-speed vehicle run-overs’, Australia, 2001–10
Safety within our schools has highest priority
Traffic and parking problems are significant issues for schools and are putting children at risk of being injured or worse, particularly during drop off and pick up times. Children by nature are impulsive, easily distracted and have little sense of danger. Many incidents of school car park pedestrian accidents across Australia has moved schools to look for ways to better manage the safety and well-being of pupils.
Conscious of their obligations schools place a high priority on implementing appropriate measures to prevent physical injury to pupils when the children are under their control.
Mooloolaba State School – acts to protect its most valuable assets
As part of its concerns for the welfare of its pupils and given the layout of its grounds Mooloolaba State School sought to make access to its grounds safer.
A key issue was that parents were ignoring the designated drop off area and driving through the main gates to the teachers car park. The teacher’s car park is generally a restricted zone and despite being designated “out of bounds” for students and unauthorised vehicles there was nothing to prevent access to this area.
What was needed was the ability to strictly control the access into the teacher’s car parking area during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-ups.
When a road is not a road – you need a boom gate
Although the road entry to the teacher’s car park was already gated – the gate needed to be left open during the day to allow convenient vehicle access.
The best solution for this situation was to install a boom gate with a timer that closes the boom gate during drop off times and re-opens after school has started. A keypad allows teachers, administration staff and authorised visitors access to the area during the period the boom gate is down. The system requires no supervision and is fully automatic.
There was no available mains power supply at the location which would normally necessitate digging up the driving way to lay power cables. However choosing to install Rotech’s Sector 12vdc automatic boom gate was the ideal product to address Mooloolaba State Schools requirements.
The Sector automatic boom gate is low voltage, high speed, battery driven, safety sensing and designed for high-volume traffic control environments. Adding the solar powered option meant there was no need to run high voltage cables to the gate which was a significant saving to the cost of installation.
We understand parents give considerable weight to safety and security when selecting a school for their child to attend and were pleased to have enabled Mooloolaba State School with its commitment to protecting its pupils.
New TriStar F21 full height turnstile – faster, safer and more secure
The TriStar F21 Full Height Turnstile now features an innovative battery back-up system providing a level of security not available before on an Australian made turnstile. The increased height over the previous model adds to accessibility without compromising on security.
Until recently turnstiles were simply considered part of a building or facility’s overall security plan. Today, the increasing threat of extremist activity has meant the demand for heightened security afforded by access control equipment, such as turnstiles, is being pushed to the forefront.
The Lindt Cafe hostage situation brought home the reality that Australia was not immune to acts of terror. After this tragic event many organisations increased their security to protect their employees – businesses such as television stations, corporate offices and strategic manufacturing facilities installed one of Rotech‘s full height turnstiles soon after.
The preferred means and methods of securing properties and facilities are changing rapidly. The need for traditional applications, such as perimeter fence line control or access to amusement venues, large events centres, sports stadiums and industrial facilities continues to remain strong. However developers and building owners are now more willing to consider physical barriers for security and are increasingly looking for access control systems that offer the right combination of security, user comfort and personal safety to enhance and add value to their building.
Rotech’s TriStar F21 full height turnstile offers the optimum level of secure access and the required robustness for use outdoors or indoors.
Security – personnel tracking
The ability to be able to quickly determine which employees have entered or exited the building is a key piece of information when ensuring no one is left behind in an urgent evacuation situation. This is easily handled by the TriStar F21 full height turnstile – when used in tandem with an access control system operators can:
- Monitor the time and attendance of each individual
- Track the movement of visitors in or out
- Restrict access by unauthorised people.
With an increased requirement for security monitoring the new status indication system allows the operator to see when the turnstile is closed and if the entry (or exit) is freewheeling. The emergency key release is also monitored.
Unique Battery Back-up Operation
The TriStar F21 full height turnstile‘s innovative battery back-up system handles power outages automatically. On power failure the built-in relay automatically initiates the battery back-up system and sets off a loud warning siren indicating that the turnstile is now operating on battery back-up system. The turnstile can operate normally on back up for up to 3000 cycles.
This is a particularly important feature in an emergency situation where the access control system needs to continue receive information and monitor movement through the turnstile when normal power sources fail.
The TriStar F21 turnstile addresses any accessibility concerns with it‘s increased internal height to 2100mm and wide entrance allowing easy access for personnel wearing hard hats, carrying tools and equipment while still preventing tailgating or piggy backing.
This reliable, low maintenance turnstile incorporates soft start and stop technology which enables even children to easily move the rotating arms without compromising on safety and security.
The TriStar F21 is compatible with all access control systems and special features can be incorporated into our standard design.
Solar panel operation and a portable version are available making the TriStar F21 full height turnstile suitable for remote areas, building sites or positions were it is difficult to get power to.
The customisation options available with the TriStar F21 turnstile are endless. Whatever your specific security requirement Rotech’s access control products can provide a tailored solution.
We have been fulfilling all types of automation control demands for more than 15 years – we are certain that with our extensive range and high level of expertise, we will be able to provide you and your business with a customised solution to suit your need.
For more information about Rotech’s Pedestrian Access Control products visit our Turnstiles and Flap Barriers page.
Call Alan Roberts at ROTECH on 07 3250 1123.
Explaining Pros & Cons of Solar-Powered Gate Openers to Clients
Solar-powered gate openers are rising in popularity because of innovations in solar technology which have significantly improved their reliability. The cost of solar panels has also come down considerably over the past few years. That is why many consumers are seriously considering them. However, not everyone might think that they are an ideal solution.
When it comes to explaining solar-powered gate openers to your clients, it’s always good to emphasise the following attributes to help them consider having one installed at their property.
What’s in it for your clients?
- Savings – Clients can now enjoy lower energy bills. Since this type of opener uses energy coming from the sun, it’s virtually free. Aside from the initial product cost and installation fees, they won’t be spending more for the operation. Even in very poor light conditions, testing has shown that the gate will still operate for up to 10 operations per day
- Installation – Solar power allows you to install a gate opener or boom gate in a remote location or one that has limited access to a power source. Of course, this also means that the labour that goes into the installation of the unit is reduced, as there is no need to dig up roadways in order to run high voltage cables to the gate.
- Safety – with solar power, access to a property is never an issue as the gate will not fail during power outages. This means that your client will never have to leave their car unattended while they open the gate and will never be left feeling vulnerable, especially late at night or in areas of high crime.
What do you need to tell your clients?
Each installation of a solar-powered gate operator has to be assessed to ensure that they work correctly for the environment they are in and the type of job they are required to do. As a gate manufacturer, it’s best to know these. Read the following list to be guided:
- The size of the solar panel will depend on the number of operations per day and the amount of accessories (PE beams, intercom) that may be fitted.
- Solar panels need to be mounted in a position where they will get the most sunlight, away from over shadowing trees or buildings.
- The brackets holding the panel should be of high quality stainless steel for durability, especially since they are exposed to the elements.
Equipped with this information, you can now explain to your clients in detail what benefits they can get and what limitations they can expect from the application.
As soon as they’re ready to make use of this technology, we’ll be ready at Rotech to help you. As one of Australia’s leading providers of gate operators, boom gates and turnstiles, it is our priority to supply gate manufacturers and security companies with first-class products. Rotech can also customise products to suit a client’s needs. With our 30-years of experience in the industry, our technical support team will gladly assist you with product information and integration.
Australian Made Portable Turnstile with Solar Power in Turnstiles
The new and improved TriStar FH full-height turnstile is based on the 15 year old Sentinel FH design, but with many new features and improved operation. It is the first Australian-made product of its kind.
The new turnstile is now easier to use than ever, and with a soft start and stop feature, it is also extremely safe, even for children. We have changed the design of the turnstile rotor to give it a more open appearance, yet not compromising on the security.
The TriStar FH is a bi-directional turnstile with a galvanised frame and rotor; it can also be made from 304 or 316 stainless steel and on request, can be powder coated in specific colours to suit your requirements. The TriStar FH could be operated for up to 3000 cycles without mains power, with a battery back-up.
It is eco-friendly and can also work on solar power, solving the problem of power supply and helping to reduce costs, as the 240V power cables wouldn’t be required. Additionally, we can provide a portable base to enable easy movement and transfer of this free standing turnstile from one site to another. Also compatible with all access control, card and proximity systems, it enables you to easily integrate the turnstile into any security system.
With an in-built status indication feature, it lets you know when the turnstile is in operation, closed, or whether it has been manually released. It also has a warning light option that flashes if the status of the turnstile is interrupted for more than 10 seconds. We can also provide the TriStar FH turnstile with a roof and an anti-climb mesh, for additional security. The FH is created to provide our customers with a safe and secure method of access control with multiple features. We provide a 2-year guarantee on the mechanism of the turnstile.
5 Things to Consider when Installing Solar Gate Openers
Manually opening your gates when you arrive at work or at home can be a time-consuming and inconvenient process. In the age of smart phones and wireless technology, why wouldn’t you automate a task to save you time and energy?
Technology in gate automation has advanced greatly over the past two decades. Solar gate openers are currently gaining popularity because of the numerous advantages that they have to offer. There are a number of benefits of using solar to power your gates; the biggest being that the power used is generated for free and is endlessly environmentally-friendly.
Those who are planning to utilise this technology should be well informed before making the switch; there are several considerations that must be made when installing a solar gate opener and here are some of them:
1. The type of gate you use. Different types of gates are used across various industries today. With almost infinite combinations of swinging gates, sliding gates, light or heavy-duty, steel or aluminium depending on the industry or home; the gate’s solar powered opener can be custom-made to meet the user’s operational needs.
2. The area of installation. Solar panels should be installed in an area where they can get maximum sunlight. Such areas should be away from tall buildings and trees that can cover or cast shadows on the solar panels most of the day. Placing these devices in a favourable position free from these obstructions allows them to absorb and store as much solar power as possible. Solar also offers a battery back-up feature that render them usable when the main power supply fails.
3. The gate’s workload. This factor must be determined to figure out the right size solar panel necessary for continuous operations. The size of the solar panels needed largely depends on the amount of work that the gate has to handle on a daily basis. The more it is used, the more energy is needed and the bigger the panel must be. A gate’s number of opening and closing cycles vary widely between industries. It is recommended to choose products that are rated with the most number of cycles and are longer lasting, especially for heavy-duty gates.
4. The cost. Purchasing solar gate openers is a form of investment for businesses. One must be wise when buying to make sure that the product is worth the investment. The cost of installation is also another factor to consider. While it may seem more economical to choose the lowest priced product or lowest installation rates, it is important to note that the cheapest option may not always be the best.
5. The product’s quality. When it comes to equipment of any kind, the quality should never be compromised by the cost. High quality products are proven to give optimum performance and last much longer. In the long run, high quality products can save businesses from hefty repair costs and purchasing new products to replace faulty ones.
To make the best choices and investments in solar gate openers, choose the company that has specialised in these advanced access solutions for more than 30 years, choose Rotech. We are proud providers of high quality gate openers and gate automation solutions like turnstiles and boom gates. Need your equipment customised? No problem! We specialise in customised solutions. We can build systems to meet specific commercial and industrial requirements. Give us a call and let us know how we can help. Get the security and convenience you need only from Rotech.
5 Reasons Why To Use Automated Gates
Business sites, just like the businesses themselves, are highly valuable investments and they need to be well protected from potential threats. For this reason, pedestrian access solutions are popularly used in commercial and industrial settings. Nowadays automatic boom gates, turnstiles and many other access solutions are widely used in shopping centres, hospitals, banks, car parks, transit stations, and other types of commercial establishments.
There are a number of reasons why these types of access control systems must be installed in buildings or any major business site. Owners of commercial and industrial establishments should deliberate on this matter to protect their investment. Here are some reasons why automated access solutions would be necessary.
- Safety and Security – These are two primary concerns in commercial and industrial buildings. In most cases, these establishments have several areas that need to be secured. One security measure that can be taken is to install turnstiles at the entrance and other significant places. These gates can only be opened by those who are allowed entry, using access cards, wristbands or tags. This reduces the risk of unauthorised entry to the premises.
- Controlled Access – Other than security from trespassers, automated gates also help to control the accessibility of specific areas within the business site. With automatic gates installed outside a certain area, access can be limited to particular members of the staff. This ensures that employees only enter the areas they are required to work in.
- Convenience – With modern technology used in these access solutions, getting in and out of the building is made easier and more convenient. Some types of gates can let through an average of 25 people per minute. There are also some designs that allow easy access for wheelchairs.
- Reduced Staffing –Since these gates are automated, they eliminate the need for an employee to be constantly present at the gate to control its operation. Authorised individuals can simply use their access cards to enter. This can help reduce the number of employees and save money.
- Cost-Effective Option – Gate openers are typically operated by a power source like electricity. But owing to the advents of new technology, now there are more cost-effective solutions available to reduce power consumption, thereby reducing the company’s expenses. Modern design changes include solar panels that absorb and store energy from sunlight. These solar panels can operate a solar gate opener without using much electrical power. Solar-powered units can operate for a day or two in the event that the main power fails.
When it comes to automated access solutions, Rotech is a name that one can rely on. We have been providing automatic gates and access solutions to many commercial and industrial companies. Our solutions can be customised to meet your needs and operational requirements. Contact us now and our friendly staff can walk you through our range of products.